Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A New Year

Happy New Year Everyone! I feel like I haven't posted in ages, but it's really only been a month if you count our family Christmas card.

I decided that I'm not going to make resolutions this year, knowing full well that they may be impractical to achieve since I am still working full time, going to grad school, and of course bogged down with Mom duties. What I am doing though is making a few achievable goals:


1. FINALLY decorate my house! We've lived in our builder beige home for 3 years now and the starkness and blahness (is that a word? well it is now) are getting to me. I know that it will be a slow process but I plan to do something (no matter how small) every weekend to make my house feel more like a home. The biggest challenge I face is making my home feel more "ME." I realized that nothing in my decor reflects who I am as a designer, artist, or creative person. Right now, most of my furnishings are pretty traditional, which is not me AT ALL. I want to transform my space into a more clean, modern, and fun environment. I've been saving hundreds of images of spaces I am drawn to over the past few months, and they all have a few things in common - color, simplicity, and art graced walls. It's simply not feasible for me to go out and buy all new furnishings so I'm going to make the best out of what I have, even if it means refinishing furniture, repurposing materials, or creating my own decor. I think MODERN ECLECTIC is what I'm going for, which describes me, Multi-Tasking Mama, to a "T."


Here's a few images that I've found as inspiration:









2. In order to achieve #1, we have to DECLUTTER! I've been purging things around the house left and right trying to achieve a calm balance between what our family needs and all the extra crap. Sometimes when I look around my house I feel like "wiping the slate clean" and starting over. That's totally not realistic, so I'm just aiming to feel relaxed and organized. Which seem like two conflicting terms, but in reality when I know everything is put in it's place and not strewn all over the house it gives me a peace of mind and sense of calm that I've done my job and can now relax. So, I've been moving from room to room and simplifying. Getting rid of toys no longer played with, clothes unworn, boxes of stuff sitting in closets. Even if they're not seen, I know they're there. And that clutters my mind. I've just begun, but I feel lighter already.



3. Spend more quality time with my husband. Here's the deal - we're busy and we're tired. With both of us working full time, me in grad school, 3 kids with huge extracurricular commitments, and a house to take care of, we are EXHAUSTED! So even when we have a rare moment of free time all we want to do is sleep or veg on the sofa. That's all well and good if we want things to remain the same, but who doesn't want to get the most out of their relationship? We're making a promise to spend more time on "us" so we can reconnect and rediscover why we fell in love in the first place. Simple things like having a date night, holding hands, and having conversations not involving the children make a difference. We've been through a lot over the 12 years we've been married (13 we've been together). We are the foundation of our family and we owe it to ourselves and to our kids to keep our relationship as healthy and strong as possible.

So there you have it, not resolutions per se, but simple attainable goals. No resolving to make it to the gym every day when I know that will never happen. No promises to change myself when I'm happy the way I am. Just living life the best I can.

1 comment:

  1. I am on a similar mission! I LOVE your inspiration photos, especially the last two, great colors. Purging/clutter removal has been key for me. Isn't it incredible how much a person can collect in a fairly short span of time. I am continuously amazed by how much stuff I have everywhere for being 28, where did I get all these things? I'd love to see the projects your are working on/decor you choose as it goes up in your home!

    Lila

    ReplyDelete